About the Club
The club was founded as the Kingsway Technical College Amateur Radio Club in 1970 by Derek Coupar (GM3YVX) and Findlay Baxter (GM3VEY), who started running classes for the Radio Amateur Examination at the college in October 1969. The club's callsign GM4AAF was first on the air in 1971.
Kingsway Technical College became Dundee College in 1985 then Dundee and Angus College in 2013; the club's meetings and radio shack are still hosted by the college on the Kingsway Campus.
James Bowman Lindsay
The club's emblem — a bronze hand grasping a thunderbolt — is based upon the monument to James Bowman Lindsay in Dundee's Western Cemetery.
Born in 1799 near Arbroath, Lindsay was a pioneer in the field of electrical engineering, developing and demonstrating an early electrical lighting system in Dundee in 1835. He later turned his attention to telegraphy, proposing a scheme for constructing and protecting transatlantic telegraph cables in 1845. In 1854 he was awarded a patent for a method of wireless communication across bodies of water, which he demonstrated across the Earl Grey Docks in Dundee, and later across the Tay from Dundee to Woodhaven. Members of the club have attempted to replicate Lindsay's experiments on several occasions — with varying degrees of success!
In addition to electricity, Lindsay's research interests included
philology, astronomy, philosophy and history; he spent much of his life
working on a dictionary in fifty languages, and was granted a pension of
£100 per year by Queen Victoria in 1858
in recognition of his
great learning and extraordinary attainments.
For more about the life of James Bowman Lindsay, see A History of Wireless Telegraphy by J. J. Fahie.